Chrome OS isn’t the most populous option, but there are a few things you can do to make your Chromebook desktop look and function the way you want.
Customize your Chromebook wallpaper
First, let’s cover the basics of your desktop:
- Right-click anywhere on the Chromebook desktop and select set wallpaper from the menu that appears.
- Click a Google category to see a selection of pre-selected photos or click the My Pictures option to choose an image from your local storage.
- If you want to change your wallpaper to a new wallpaper every day, touch daily change The button at the top of any Google Categories page. (Unfortunately, this option is not currently available with your own photos.)
Customize your browser wallpaper
You can also customize the page that appears each time you open a new tab in your browser:
- Open a new tab in Chrome and click chrome customization The button (or the pencil icon) is located in the lower right corner of the browser.
- to pick my knowledge To choose a photo from a Google group or Download from device To choose an image from your local storage, follow the prompts to find and confirm the image you want.
- to pick color and theme To change the appearance and background of browser borders. You can choose from a number of pre-set themes or click on the circle with the dropper icon and you can choose custom colors.
Customize the shelf for your Chromebook
Last but not least, take control of the Chrome OS shelf: the row of shortcuts that looks like a dock at the bottom of the screen. Start by identifying the exact symbols that appear in that area:
- Open the app drawer (by clicking the circular icon in the lower left corner of the screen and then clicking the up arrow in the partial drawer that appears). Right-click on any item in the list and select Rack installation.
- If you want to add a website, open the site, click the three-dotted menu icon in the upper right corner of Chrome, then select More toolsfollowed by create Shortcut.
If you want the site to open in an app-like window, without the usual browser items at the top, click open as window option in create Shortcut? The popup that appears. Then click the blue button To make or to invent button.
- Drag and drop any of the icons on the shelf to change its position.
- Have you decided you don’t want the icon on your shelf after all? Right-click on the icon and select tie out.
And the last two possibilities: If you want your shelf to appear on the left or right side of your screen instead of at the bottom, right-click anywhere inside it and select rack locationthen select the left a Law. And if you want the shelf to remain hidden by default and only appear when you hover over it, right-click on the shelf and select Auto Hide Shelf Selection.
Update May 27, 2022 at 9:30AM ET: This article was originally published on October 12, 2019 and has been updated to take into account minor changes in the operating system.
“Wannabe internet buff. Future teen idol. Hardcore zombie guru. Gamer. Avid creator. Entrepreneur. Bacon ninja.”