ID : N-1012 Date : 2018/01/12 - 12:18
(Persia Digest) – Located at a distance of 1000kms south of Beijing, in the suburbs of Yangzhou, there is a little village which has kept its Persian aura after the passing of 600 years. This place is called “Busi Chuan” or the Parsian Village. It is surrounded by rivers and lakes, lush pine forests, and vast plains. Its inhabitants have a deep inner link with Iranians.
Local research carried out here demonstrates that the village was called Parsian because, 600 years ago, a Parsi resident of the area led the villagers in a battle against bandits and lost his life saving theirs.
To commemorate their hero, the people of the village called it Parsian. The river that took the body of the young man was named Busi River, meaning Parsi River.
It is common knowledge that Parsian Village used to be a port in ancient times. Under the Tang Dynasty circa 600 CE, the city of Yangzhou was a major commercial port in Asia. Research shows that an estimated 5000 Iranians and Arabs settled here as traders during that time. Most of the Persians traded in pearls and other precious stones.
Due to natural disasters, such as floods, the people in this region were impoverished and the pillage and plunder of farmers spread.
To combat this, the inhabitants of the neighboring village asked the Iranian people of Yangzhou to help them in their battle with the bandits. They were led by one of the Iranians until the day he was killed.
In 1994, the local government installed an inscription in the village as an emblem of friendship between Iran and China, recounting the story of the Parsians.