(Persia Digest) – Despite being a critic of the Iranian establishment, Professor Sadegh Zibakalam has said he will take up arms and defend his country in case of a US attack.

Persia Digest (PD) reports that Dr Zibakalam is a professor of political science at the University of Tehran. He is mostly known for his radical views opposing the official views of the Islamic Republic. Unlike Iranian leaders, he recognizes Israel and advocates friendship with its people.

This reformist political activist has also criticized certain revolutionary organs such as the IRGC and asked for free elections and democracy in Iran.

Be that as it may, he said in a recent interview that despite all his disagreements with the establishment, this has to be safeguarded and he will defend his country in the event of a US attack.


Read more:

Request for a referendum on Iran’s enmity towards the US

Zibakalam: Iran's economic crisis result of anti-US policies

Professor Zibakalam expelled


Zibakalam voiced his opinion by recalling a memory: “Following the US invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq in 2003, a professor of Tel Aviv University presented an article at a conference in UCLA, arguing that 70 percent of Iranians will welcome a US invasion of their country and this was the best time for such a move. Chairman of the conference, a liberal Jew, came to me and said do you not wish to answer this claim? In answer to the author of the article, I said ‘suppose 70 percent is a miscalculation and 90 percent of Iranians will welcome a US invasion with open arms; what will you do with the remaining 10 percent who will add up to between six and seven million people? I am one of that 10 percent. If the US invades my country, I will no longer pursue my theorizing; I will take up arms and defend my county against the Americans. You must search for this seven million door to door in every back alley of every city, find them, and kill them. How do you propose to do that!”

Zibakalam has underlined that at least 30 percent of the Iranian population is loyal to the establishment and will still vote in the elections even if the economic situation gets worse than it already is; they will still take part in rallies, and this is still a force to be reckoned with.

In his belief, a large part of the Iranian population support the establishment based on their religious beliefs. Another part, like himself, do not necessarily support the Islamic Republic due to religion, but believe than Iran will be faced with challenges if this structure is damaged.


Read more:

Protests are growing in Iran

Scientific analysis of challenges of Iran-US relations

Zibakalam: Talks with US under current conditions not advised


Click here for more political news.

Follow us on Twitter

Comments
Name:
Email:
* captcha:
* Comment:
Politics
Society
Trending
Latest news